The organization was created by Art Wagner, a sales and marketing executive, who was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer. Mr. Wagner's father had been diagnosed and treated for the disease several years previously. Therefore, Mr. Wagner set out to raise funds to eradicate prostate cancer before future generations would have to deal with what he and his father endured. Septembeard generates funds for the best prostate cancer research programs in the United States.
The Johns Hopkins Prostate Cancer Team is fortunate to be one of seven, outstanding research institutions to be funded by Septembeard. Johns Hopkins has a long history of leadership in diagnosing, treating, and conducting groundbreaking research for prostate cancer. Notable contributions made by researchers at Johns Hopkins include:
- The radical retropubic prostatectomy was developed by Dr. Patrick C. Walsh at the Brady Institute.
- The first prostate cancer gene was identified at John Hopkins.
- The Partin Tables and Han Tables, widely used to predict prostate cancer’s stage and likelihood of recurrence, were developed by our team.
- Hopkins houses the only urology robotics laboratory in the country.
|The Brady Residents and members of TEAM HOPKINS BEARDS OF THE BRADY on September 2nd, as Septembeard gets underway. Support the Brady and Septembeard at: http://septembeard.org/team/2015/|
There are a number of ways to get involved:
- Visit the SEPTEMBEARD website (www.septembeard.org)
- Or the Septembeard Facebook Site (https://www.facebook.com/Septembeard)
- Create a team and grow a beard
- Donate to an existing team (Team Hopkins Beards of The Brady)
- Check out the merchandise (https://septembeard.org/store/)
- Spread the word!!!