Selenium and Vitamin EIdentification: Selenium - trace element and nutrient; Vitamin E - fat-soluble vitamin. The best evidence regarding alternative medications for the prevention of prostate cancer exists for Selenium and Vitamin E.
Potential mechanism: anti-tumorigenic and antioxidant, possible effects on angiogenesis, cellular proliferation and apoptosis 
Preclinic evidence: numerous laboratory and epidemiologic studies indicate selenium and Vitamin E may prevent development or progression of prostate cancer [2-9]
Clinical evidence: do not prevent prostate cancer, Vit E may increase risk of prostate cancer
- SELECT (Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention) Trial, included over 35,000 men randomized to receive supplements alone or in combination was closed early due to an increased risk of prostate cancer in the men taking Vitamin E. In fact, starting 3 years after enrollment and at a median follow-up of 7 years, men taking Vitamin E were 17% more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer. 
- Another randomized, controlled trial of selenium for the prevention of prostate cancer in men at high-risk for disease failed to show any benefit for the prevention of prostate cancer. 
- suppresses growth of androgen-dependent prostate cancer cell line LNCaP and androgen-independent DU145 
- inhibits VEGF and angiogenesis in vivo 
- anti-inflammatory mediators are downregulated by curcumin 
- curcumin can improve the effect of chemotherapy in prostate cancer cell lines 
- In a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in 60 men with HGPIN (high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia) at high-risk for prostate cancer, only 1 man in the group getting Green Tea developed cancer while 9 in the placebo group developed cancer 
- Phase II clinical trial given after prostate biopsy demonstrating cancer and before radical prostatectomy demonstrated a decrease in serum PSA and other growth factors. 
- Another Phase II trial of men with advanced prostate cancer failed to demonstrate a significant decrease in PSA while a number of patients complained of significant toxicities. 
- inhibits nuclear factor kappa-B (NF-kB) in prostate cancer cell lines 
- 12% in cell proliferation and 17% increase in apoptosis in prostate cancer cell lines 
"Men who take more than one supplement are more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer."