Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Historical Contribution: 1930, Andres, Medical Aspects of... BPH

1930

Andres EC.  Medical Aspects of the Treatment of Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy.  Amer J of Surgery. 1930;9;3:502-6.

By the 1930's it was well established that benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH, now known as benign prostatic hyperplasia) was the leading cause of urinary obstruction in elderly men, requiring intervention in nearly 85% of these men.  The progression of BPH was well-established, from changes in the bladder leading to retrograde changes in the ureter, kidney and eventually the nephrons.  Andrus astutely noted that progressive renal deterioration was due to the back pressure of urine, recurrent infections and underlying renal disease in this elderly population.

Interestingly, Andres made the observation that patients with progressive urinary obstruction due to BPH also had dramatic effects on their cardiovascular system.  He noted that patients were often clinically fluid overloaded and their hearts suffered through this with compensatory left ventricular hypertrophy and fibrotic changes in the aorta.

To combat these cardiovascular changes, Andres recommended that patients rest, make changes to the diet, and keep hydrated to prevent the effects of azotemia.  If unable to tolerate oral hydration, "A siIver cannula is inserted into a superficial vein, usually on the foot,and is tied in pIace. Through this normal saIt soIution is injected continuously, reguIated by a drop device quite simiIar  to the Murphy drip so that the patient receives not more than IOO to 200 C.C. per hour. In this fashion Iarge amounts of fluid may be given over a period of days and so sIowIy that the circulation is not embarrassed thereby."

In addition, Andres recommended digitalis to stabilize the myocardium and an operation if the obstruction was refractory to the conservative, medical treatments described above.

In summation, Andres depicted the comorbid conditions (specifically cardiovascular) common in the elderly man presenting with obstruction from BPH.  He defined a management algorithm that progressed from acute stabilization, laboratory evaluation, medical treatment and finally surgery if needed.

Finally, Andres, a medical doctor at Johns Hopkins offered the following acknowledgement:
The author desired to express his appreciation to Dr. Hugh H. Young for permission to follow these cases on his service, and to acknowledge with thanks the assistance of the staff of the Brady Urological Institute.
To read the entire manuscript click on the title above or click here.


HISTORICAL CONTRIBUTIONS highlight the greatest academic manuscripts from the Brady Urological Institute over the past 100 years.  As the Brady Urological Institute approaches its centennial, we will present a HISTORICAL CONTRIBUTION from each of the past 100 years.  In the most recent experience, the most highly cited article from each year is selected; older manuscripts were selected based on their perceived impact on the field.  We hope you enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. We are urgently in need of KlDNEY donors for the sum of $500,000.00 USD, WhatsApp or Email for more details:
    hospitalcarecenter@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +91 779-583-3215

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW DR AZIBA HELPED ME ENLARGE MY PENIS SIZE FROM 3.5 INCHES TO 11INCHES LONG AND 8.0 GROWTH
    I got married 2 years ago and it just seemed that there was no excitement in my sex life. My dysfunction to perform to the best of my abilities in bed made it harder for my wife and me to have a good time during sex. And i was having the feelings that she may decide to get a divorce one day. I knew something had to be done in order to improve my sex life and to save my marriage because my marriage was already falling apart, so when i was on my Facebook page i came across a story of how Dr Aziba helped him enlarged his penis to 8ins better.so i Immediately copied the Email address of the Dr and explained to him my problem,he gave me some simply instruction which i must follow and i did easily and my friends Today, i am the happiest man on Earth, All Thanks to Dr Aziba for saving my marriage and making me a real man today.i asked him about some popular diseases like HERPES,HIV AIDS,HEPATITIS, DIABETICS, CANCERS, WART, Get Ex back ,etc....... which are affecting most people he said there is no disease without a cure , he has it all...You can as well reach the Dr below for help on your problem, for he has the solution to all...
    Email:[ PRIESTAZIBASOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL COM ]
    WhatsAPP DR [ +2348100368288 ]





    HOW DR AZIBA HELPED ME ENLARGE MY PENIS SIZE FROM 3.5 INCHES TO 11INCHES LONG AND 8.0 GROWTH
    I got married 2 years ago and it just seemed that there was no excitement in my sex life. My dysfunction to perform to the best of my abilities in bed made it harder for my wife and me to have a good time during sex. And i was having the feelings that she may decide to get a divorce one day. I knew something had to be done in order to improve my sex life and to save my marriage because my marriage was already falling apart, so when i was on my Facebook page i came across a story of how Dr Aziba helped him enlarged his penis to 8ins better.so i Immediately copied the Email address of the Dr and explained to him my problem,he gave me some simply instruction which i must follow and i did easily and my friends Today, i am the happiest man on Earth, All Thanks to Dr Aziba for saving my marriage and making me a real man today.i asked him about some popular diseases like HERPES,HIV AIDS,HEPATITIS, DIABETICS, CANCERS, WART, Get Ex back ,etc....... which are affecting most people he said there is no disease without a cure , he has it all...You can as well reach the Dr below for help on your problem, for he has the solution to all...
    Email:[ PRIESTAZIBASOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL COM ]
    WhatsAPP DR [ +2348100368288 ]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need a Debt Loan To Pay Off Bills?
    Take control of your debt today
    Available Now Business Expansion Loan Offer?
    Do you need a loan to pay off Bills?
    Do you need a loan?
    Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Expansion Loan?
    Business Start-up, Education,
    Debt Consolidation Loan
    Hard Money Loans
    Loan for any thing ?
    We offer loan at low interest rate of 2%
    Loan with no credit check,
    email: abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete