In this blog we will review medical expulsive therapy (MET), or the use of medications to promote passage of a kidney stone without surgery.
CAUSES OF "STONE PAIN"The painful symptoms of an obstructing kidney stone can range from the flank to the genitals, can cause nausea, vomiting or even gastrointestinal symptoms. While the exact cause of this pain is not well understood, the pain is believed to stem from:
- obstruction - which causes distention of renal capsule, collecting system and ureter activating pain-sensing nerves in the body
- irritation - the hard, sharp stone itself can activate pain sensors
- spasm - sometimes referred to "renal colic," describes spasm of the ureter and renal collecting system that can cause contractile, episodic pain
To alleviate these symptoms and promote passage of the blocking stone, a number of strategies have been developed and examined. These strategies and their efficacy are reviewed below.
Increasing Proximal Pressure: Hydration
Increasing the fluid and pressure behind the kidney stone is theorized to "push" the stone further down the ureter. Two randomized trials were reviewed in a Cochrane Meta-analysis and failed to demonstrate any benefit to intense intravenous hydration or diuresis as compared to standard-of-care hydration.
Decreasing Ureteral Swelling: Anti-inflammatories
The potential benefits of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are reduced inflammation and treatment of pain and, by doing so, facilitate stone passage. In two studies, one of which was a double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized study, NSAIDs failed to improve the proportion of stones passed or the time to passage.[4,5]
Decreasing Ureteral Contractions: Anti-spasmodicsA number of medications have been used in order to decrease ureteral spasm, improve pain and facilitate stone passage. Antimuscarinics, phosphodiesterase inhibitors and steroids have failed to demonstrate a benefit in stone passage. However, alpha-blockers (AB) and calcium-channel blockers (CCB) do improve stone passage rates and time to passage. Through direct interactions with the alpha-adrenergic receptor, AB inhibit ureteral contraction, reduce basal tone of the ureter, decrease peristaltic frequency and therefore decrease the colicky pain associated with obstruction. CCB inhibit endogenous prostaglandin synthesis and reduce spontaneous contractions of distal ureter.
Calcium Channel Blockers (CCB)
The landmark clinical trial in CCB therapy was by Borghi and colleagues in 1994. Since then, nine studies including 686 demonstrate a 50% improvement in stone passage rates, and six of those studies demonstrated an improvement in time to expulsion (2.7 versus 12 days).Recommended Rx: Nifedipine XL 30mg daily for 2-4 weeks or stone passed or active treatment
Alpha-Blockers (AB)The landmark study in AB therapy was by Pedro and colleagues in 2008. Since then, 29 studies involving over 2,000 patients have examined the role of AB for MET. A variety of AB have been used including tamsulosin, doxazosin and terazosin. The benefit for each medication ranges from a 28-56% improvement in expulsion rates. The benefit of MET with AB is significantly related to ureteral stone size. Only 4 of 9 studies with stones <5mm demonstrated a benefit in expulsion rates. However 19 of 20 studies with stones >5mm demonstrated a benefit to MET with AB. This is likely related to the very-high rate of spontaneous passage for obstructing stones <5mm without any treatment. (Interestingly, this size-to-benefit ratio is not seen in CCB, likely because fewer studies have been performed to parse out this difference).
Recommended Rx: Tamsulosin 0.4mg PO daily for 2-4 weeks or stone passed or active treatment
Side Effects of METThe most common side-effect of CCB or AB is hypotension (low blood pressure) which occurs in 0-10% of patients. However, very few patients (3-4%) stop taking the medication due to side effects and it appears that CCB are tolerated slightly better than AB for patients who develop hypotension. Importantly, these side effects are reversible with immediate discontinuation of the medication.
Benefits and Cost-Effectiveness of METThere are many proposed benefits to MET including:
- Reduced Hospitalization Rates (0-10% vs. 7-34%)
- Emergency room visits reduced (2.9 vs. 11.4)
- Work days lost reduced (2 vs. 5)
- Reduced analgesic requirements (85% studies)
- Reduced number of colic episodes (0-8% vs. 1-20%) 
A number of studies have attempted to quantify the benefits of MET through cost-effectiveness models that compare the costs of invasive procedures (like ureteroscopy and laser lithotripsy) to costs of MET medications, pain killers, days of work lost and hospitalization rates. In addition, it is estimated that MET could save over 250,000 operations per year if used more broadly as primary therapy for an obstructing ureteral stone.
- Medical Expulsion Therapy, MET can facilitate the passage of obstructing renal or ureteral stones by:
- Increasing proximal pressure
- Decreasing ureteral inflammation
- Decreasing ureteral contraction
- The best and most widely used medications include:
- Calcium-Channel Blockers
- Clinical trials demonstrate a benefit to MET:
- Increased rate of expulsion
- Decreased time to expulsion
- Low rates of side effects
- Decreased hospitalization
- Decreased narcotic requirements
1. Johnson, C. M., Wilson, D. M., O'Fallon, W. M., Malek, R. S. & Kurland, L. T. Renal stone epidemiology: a 25-year study in Rochester, Minnesota. Kidney Int. 16, 624–631 (1979).
2. Hiatt, R. A., Dales, L. G., Friedman, G. D. & Hunkeler, E. M. Frequency of urolithiasis in a prepaid medical care program. Am. J. Epidemiol. 115, 255–265 (1982).
3. Worster AS1, Bhanich Supapol W.Fluids and diuretics for acute ureteric colic. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Feb 15;2:CD004926. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD004926.pub3.
4. Al-Waili NS. Prostaglandin synthetase inhibition with indomethacin rectal suppositories in the treatment of acute and chronic urinary calculus obstruction. Clin Exp Phamacol Physiol 1986.
5. Laerum E et al. Oral diclofenac in the prophylactic treatment of recurrent renal colic: a double-blind comparison with placebo. Eur Urol 1995.
6. L. Borghi, T. Meschi, F. Amato et al. Nifedipine and methylprednisolone in facilitating ureteral stone passage: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Urol, 152 (1994), pp. 1095–1098
7. Seitz C1, Liatsikos E, Porpiglia F, Tiselius HG, Zwergel U. Medical therapy to facilitate the passage of stones: what is the evidence? Eur Urol. 2009 Sep;56(3):455-71. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2009.06.012. Epub 2009 Jun 21.
8. Bensalah K, Pearle M, Lotan Y.Cost-effectiveness of medical expulsive therapy using alpha-blockers for the treatment of distal ureteral stones. Eur Urol. 2008 Feb;53(2):411-8. Epub 2007 Sep 18.
9. Hollingsworth JM, Davis MM, West BT, Wolf JS Jr, Hollenbeck BK.Trends in medical expulsive therapy use for urinary stone disease in U.S. emergency departments. Urology. 2009 Dec;74(6):1206-9. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2009.03.050. Epub 2009 Oct 7.
If you know about How to Get Rid of Kidney Stones.
I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,aReplyDelete
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease, Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Tach Disease,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes.
Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com. Whatsapp...+2348149277967]
I want to share with you all on how Dr Itua saves my life with his powerful Herbal medicines, I was diagnosed of Oral/Ovarian Cancer which i suffered from for 5 years with no positive treatment until when My son came to me in the hospital when i was laying down on my dying bed waiting for god to call out my name to join him in heaven.ReplyDelete
My son was so excited that very day he came across Dr Itua on Blogspot, we decided to give him a try although we Americans are so scared to trust Africans but i really have no choice that time to choose life in between so we gave a try to Dr Itua Herbal medicines, god wiling he was a good man with a god gift. Dr Itua send us the herbal medicine it was three bottles. I take it for three weeks instructor and this herbal medicines heal me, cure my Oral/Ovarian Cancer completely I have been living for 9 months now with healthy life no more symptoms.
I'm sponsoring Dr Itua in LA Advert on Cancer patent seminar which my son will be participating too and other patent Dr Itua has cured from all kind of human disease, also if you are sick from disease like,Epilepsy,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Brain cancer,Hiv,. Vaginal cancer,Herpes,Colon-Rectal Cancer,Chronic Disease.Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Multiple myeloma,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,
Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,,Bladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Neuroendocrine tumors
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Cervical Cancer,Oral cancer,Hepatitis,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, Stomach cancer
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis,Vulvar cancer,Ovarian cancer,,Sinus cancer, Here Is The Wonderful Healer Contact. Name_ Doctor Itua, Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone/WhatsApp: +2348149277967
Nice blog... Thanks for this informational blog. Looking for best treatment for 3 to 5 mm kidney stones see this post.ReplyDelete
I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of theReplyDelete
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.